Technology integration is common in most areas.
Talking about education we can see a lot of improvement happening around. People obsessing over Apple is not new, however Apple does offer something that makes them go crazy.
Apple CEO Tim Cook said on a call with investors, "Education tends to be a conservative institution, but we're not seeing that at all on the iPad. The adoption of the iPad in education is something I've never seen with any technology."
Below are some stats reflecting the studies of universities, surveys, and practices of various institutions with a focus on use of iPad in education.
Apple is pushing for iPad use in education, and many schools have taken up the charge. To come on terms with the never-ending debate of use of iPad in education, some results can be reflected with some of the statistics that curious souls can refer to.
- A research study, conducted in Auburn, Maine showed that Kindergartner students using iPads scored much higher on literacy tests than students that didn’t use the device.
- University of California Irvine Medical School reported iPad equipped medical students scored 23 percent higher on national exams than previously unequipped classes.
- According to Pearson Foundation’s survey More than six in ten college students and high school seniors agree that tablets help students to study more efficiently (66% and 64%) and help students to perform better in classes (64% and 63%).
- A study from KIPP Academy in Houston, TX showed the percentage of students who rated either proficient or advanced (the 'passing' rate) was 49% percent higher in the 'flipped classrooms' using the iPads than in the traditional classrooms with no iPads.
- In a study done by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in California, showed that students using iPads saw their math test scores increase 20% in one year compared to students using traditional textbooks.
- A study at Oklahoma State University concluded that 75% of students agreed that the iPad enhanced their learning experience.
- At Northdale Middle School in Coon Rapids, MN, iPads in the classroom have led to increased engagement among disabled students and have accelerated and improved their learning and comprehension.
- Another study centered on an iPad game, Motion Math, has shown that the iPad can help with fundamental math skills. Fifth graders who regularly played the game for 20 minutes per day over a five-day period increased their test scores by 15 percent on average.
- According to Open Colleges, 81% of U.S teachers think tablets can enrich classroom learning, and 86% of students believe that tablets can help them to study more efficiently.
From a study at the Longfield Academy in Kent, England, over 800 students had or were issued iPads, across the full spectrum of grade levels to study the impact of using iPad in education. Below are some of the facts and stats they bring forwards.
- 77% of faculty respondents felt that student achievement appeared to have risen since the introduction of the iPad.
- 73% of students and 67% of staff felt that the iPad helped students improve the quality of their work.
- 69% of students that completed the survey felt that using the iPad was motivating and that they worked better with it than without it.
- 60% of faculty thought that students were more motivated by lessons that incorporate the iPad than those that did not.
Some other studies shows that:
- 82% of all web traffic generated by tablet devices is from iPads.
- 8 out of 10 teachers say their students want tablets (most of which is the iPad) in class.
- The three largest publishers, producing 90% of all textbooks used in schools are all partnering with Apple to sell digital versions.
- 86% of students believe that tablets (like the iPad) can help them to study more efficiently.
- Over 8 million iPads have been sold to educators worldwide in 2012 alone!
- 60% of faculty thought that students were more motivated by lessons that used the iPad than lessons that did not.
- 75% of students agreed that the iPad enhanced their learning experience.
-55% of students say they wish their instructors used more simulations or educational games. Using the iPad the options are almost endless and are only limited to our imaginations.
- The iPad currently accounts for 82% of all web traffic generated by tablet devices.(Forbes)
What stats, facts or reasons did I skip about the use of iPads in education?
What is your take about the iPad in education? Keeps the list growing in the comments!
Social Media Groups, Communities, Pages, Boards and Accounts to Follow to Learn About iPad in Education
For more latest updates, You can join us on Google+, Twitter, Linkedin