The profession of a teacher is a consuming one and the work doesn’t end within the premises.
Teachers are always working for their students. Preparing lesson plans, working on creating just the right assignments and notes, keeping parents informed and doing everything to help the kids learn and grow in the best ways possible.
The pointers below mention the challenges faced by teachers every day in the classroom.
- Often, young students show an ignoring and neglecting behavior as they do not know understand the importance of education. Such uninterested and unmotivated students are a real challenge. This behavior of students not only disturbs the teacher and becomes one of the reasons for lack of motivation but also leads to disturbances in the class. Teachers can overcome this problem by understanding what their students are interested in. Teachers can then help their students achieving their goals by encouraging them.
- Disrespectful behavior from students is also a problem teachers usually face. Disrespectful behavior in schools across the globe is widely recognized. Young people see examples of disrespectful attitudes towards teachers on television and in the movies. To combat these negative portrayals, teachers need to encourage parents to become involved in their children's education. Building rapport with parents will encourage them to teach their children to respect their teachers and value their education. Teachers are sometimes afraid to discipline a student because of risk of lawsuit if they fail to handle situation correctly. Teachers require support of parents, administration and school board in this regard.
- Sleep deprived and lethargic students are quite irritating for teachers. Such students find it difficult to concentrate on lecture and appear bored. Lethargy and exhaustion may be caused by many factors one of which is doing job in parallel to studies. To solve this problem, teachers need to talk to students and their parents as well. Teachers have a great responsibility and to meet this responsibility, teachers need support and help. Parents and school administration should communicate properly with teachers for betterment of students and class discipline.
- Teachers also complain about lack of parental cooperation and guidance with them. A student can become successful only when parents support his teachers. But in fact, parents start attacking teacher when they hear complain from their kid against teacher. Parents like to defend their child without knowing their child’s behavior and problems.
- Not only do teachers have to ensure that each student in class is learning and engaged, they also have to make sure that the goals of the school are in line. Most of the time, that goal is the same: educate students so that when they enter the “real world,” they will be capable of making good choices. Sometimes, though, there are more things going on with the school than any one teacher knows about. Testing, pep assemblies, student government, and club activities are all important parts of the school experience. As a teacher, it’s important to be flexible in rearranging plans and having backups for when school-wide activities might disrupt your normal routine. I usually have my week planned out ahead of time. Good communication and good planning can help to ensure that students are getting the full educational and social experience of school. Teachers must prepare preschool lesson plan in order to cooperate with the challenges of teaching students in a systematic way.
- The shift to the new millennium’s styles of teaching and learning is one big challenge for the educators at present. Technology has become an essential part of education so classrooms today are equipped with computers. Computers are provided to students to get help and knowledge online and make assignments. Integration of technology does bring a lot of challenges to teachers. Teachers already feel naïve when it comes to technology and students in this age are digital natives. With the available technology students somehow finds their way out to misuse the technology which is one big concern of educators. The best way to overcome this problem is to monitor students strictly while working on e-devices, limiting screen time, using various Softwares that limits the usage to only academic purpose, get help from IT staff and learn to stay abreast with advancement in technology.
- One of the toughest competitors of teachers in classroom is the cell phone. Vibration and ringing bells and students texting their peers cause distraction. Although cell phones are strictly prohibited in classroom, some students still bring them regardless of the consequences. Such students should be dealt with an appropriate behavior according to their age group.
Because teaching is one big responsibility and does require a lot from the educator, it is essential that the community as a whole helps the educators in achieving and creating the best environment for students to accomplish the best. Among all the challenges mentioned, one thing is crucial for teachers to overcome all such barriers and that is support from parents and administration. And without the support on both ends, the educators cannot make any change happen for the benefit of the student.
What are the challenges you face in your classroom?