UK based PrintLab is a global distributor of 3D printing products.
With an established community of resellers in 19 countries worldwide, PrintLab Education’s first project is a unique initiative supporting schools and universities in developing 3D Printing Labs. Offering an entire ecosystem of 3D printing products specifically for the next generation by collaborating with education-focused 3D printing brands, they’ve created a central platform so that together with their partners, they can share the experiences and knowledge with everyone, in a collaborative effort to revolutionize education . Their products integrate with 3D printers and other solutions offered by each PrintLab reseller, on one easy-to-use platform called “Build your Lab”. From 3D printers to software, curriculum and materials, PrintLab’s aim is to offer end-to-end solutions all from one platform, with a single point of contact for advice, support and training.
As we see this technology take off in education sector it is important to understand that 3D printing is on route to disrupt the design and manufacturing scene that we see today. And because of this, it is essential that we prepare students for the challenges of tomorrow. There has been a lot of hype around 3D printing in education which urges educators to get involved, but there are a lack of resources to help them do so. Furthermore, it’s easy for educators to dive in to 3D printing without understanding the challenges, which causes problems when introducing 3D printing in the classroom.
Jason Yeung, Business Development Manager at PrintLab says, “It’s an amazing time for teachers – several years from now when they see their students innovating out in the field, they can look back with pride at the fact that they were the ones who were there at the very beginning, to introduce them to this exciting, innovative technology” He added, “But before this happens, they need to ensure their own journey is a successful one. We at PrintLab want to help in any way we can, which is why the Teachers Guide is just the beginning of a series of resources to support the growth of 3D printing in education”.
With their newly released released comprehensive online guide to assist teachers getting started with 3D printing, it would be so much easier for the educators to get started with 3D Printing. The guide covers everything teachers need to know prior to their journey in 3D printing. From background and opportunities to teaching strategies, curriculum and tips, their aim is to share the knowledge they have gained over the years to support 3D printing in education. The PrintLab Teacher’s Guide is an honest, informative document that doesn’t shy away from the fact that integrating 3D printing into education can be difficult. The guide is written as a journey and includes links on where to learn about 3D printing, what products are available as well as where you can get advice and support. Example strategies are also offered to assist educators in creating a roadmap for themselves.
This Amazing Guide features the following topics in depth:
- The Potential: With every advent in technology something new comes on a daily basis and becomes obsolete even quicker. Thus, It is iportant to understand the potential of this technology. Integrating it in education and the real potential of 3D printing will give you the motivation needed in this new challenge. In this section, we outline the scope of opportunity in 3D printing for education, along with an insight into what the future holds.
- Understanding of The Challenges: Unlike many technology integration this one tech requires a lot of effort and skilling before it becomes the “To-Use” thing in any institution. This comes with a lot of challenges. It is very important to understand the challenges that you will face. 3D printing requires a lot of development before it becomes “plug and play” - and this is something that every teacher needs to understand.
- The Time Taking: Successfully integrating 3D printing into education takes time and dedication. But don’t let this discourage you becuase good things never come easy and this one is worth all the wait and hardwork. It’s not every day you get the chance to be part of something that can have such an amazing impactn on future generations!
- The Ecosystem: The 3D printing ecosystem is made up of much more than a 3D printer. There are various elements that can make the 3D printing experience a whole lot better. In this section you will get an overview of various products and solutions to consider for your school.
- 3D Printer In Action: Now you understand 3D printing and have your equipment, you need to spend time getting familiar with 3D printing before introducing it to your students. Don’t worry, you don’t have to become an expert before teaching a lesson. In this section you will get pointers on where to begin and what steps to take for having it integrating and implemented effectively and efficiently.
- Importance Of Strategizing: The way in which 3D printing is introduced in a school may be a key aspect to its eventual success. A good strategy will lead to efficient and effective scaling of your 3D printing setup. In this section, an example strategy is offered to all the education stakeholkders that may help you to implement this tech in your own institution.
- Teach & Develop: If you take the time to learn, tinker and experiment with 3D printing, confidence will come naturally to you and you will be ready to introduce 3D printing into the classroom. Remember, it’s a gradual process and you will develop your skills each time you print and teach.
- Collaboration: The great thing about the 3D printing revolution is that people love to share! From online communities to events and exhibitions, connecting with others is a great way to learn and get all the support you need.
PrintLab also identify the huge rewards that teachers stand to gain from introducing 3D printing to the classroom. The PrintLab Teachers Guide is available to view online and as a PDF download from the link below: http://weareprintlab.com/resources