Reading is fundamental to learning today. It helps improve language skills, develops the mind, increases knowledge domain, boosts imagination, helps the student to become a critical thinker, and adds to personality development too.
However, according to Kids and Family Reading Report, a national survey by a children’s book publishing house in India shows, only 30% of children said they considered themselves to be “good” readers, and about 32% to be “frequent readers”. In 2016, the same publishing house along with YouGov, a research institute, conducted a survey on the reading habits of children, and the findings revealed the “poor reading habits” of school - going children in India. It said only 32% (every 3 of 10 children in the age group of 6-17) read 24 non-syllabus books annually.
The above findings revealed that reading habit is not very predominant in India. One of the main reasons for this is because, we focus too much on mark, score, grade, and rank to get admission in a reputed higher education institution, then find a valuable job to have a quality lifestyle and too little on other things.
Renaissance Learning – a global leader in assessment, reading, and Maths solutions for Pre-K-12 schools, identified this problem. They introduced a 360° literacy solution suite in India early this year.
With its mission to accelerate learning for all aged readers, the US & UK-based company has enabled educators, schools and learning centres across the world to transform learning experiences inside & outside the classroom through its insightful assessments, resources and practice solutions.
English is a universally accepted communicative language that improves a student’s successful career prospects, and it is a fact that reading books helps improve language skills. Renaissance’s distinguished online reading and engagement resources help with exactly that. Its personalised digital library myON gives students unlimited access to thousands of enhanced digital books with built-in scaffolds to support readers at every level, accelerating literacy skill development. It also provides tools and resources educators need to guide and enrich students’ reading experience. Read more about myON in details in this post.
Renaissance Product Suite that help students and educators strengthen literacy skills
Renaissance offers reliable, accurate, and actionable insights into student achievements and access to high-quality and age appropriate reading materials. It supports independent reading practice and teacher-led differentiated instructions.
Accelerated Reader – Accelerated Reader allows teachers to motivate, monitor, and manage all students’ independent reading practice, and help them develop a true love for reading. The tool allows teachers to match students with right reading materials aligned to their interests and at the appropriate level of challenge, and offers them endless choices on what to read next. It also helps administrators to create a culture of reading in schools and families to access real-time information on their child’s reading progress and sign up to receive emails about quizzes, etc.
Star Assessment – Star Assessment provides teachers all the insights and resources needed to guide literacy growth not just for emergent readers, struggling readers, and English learners but even for high achievers. From skills data for day-to-day instruction to year-over-year growth, the tool helps educators accelerate learning for all. Star Assessment also helps teachers identify a range of reading strategies and skills needed for students to reach grade-level proficiency and achieve mastery.
Why 52000+ schools use Renaissance’s Accelerated Reader and Star Assessments?
- Goal setting – Accelerated Reader allows teachers to effortlessly create personalized goals around comprehension, engaged reading time, and students’ reading levels.
- Choice and motivation – It allow teachers to motivate students with tailored reading recommendations and endless choice. Accelerated Reader matches students with books and articles aligned to their unique interests and reading levels.
- Nonfiction and close reading – Built-in nonfiction articles keep students engaged. Students can explore articles on a variety of topics to build background knowledge and sharpen their close-reading skills.
- Comprehensive practice – It challenges students with vocabulary practice and literacy skills quizzes in addition to comprehension quizzes for almost all titles read by a student.
- Ensuring completion – Once students finish a book, Accelerated Reader ensures students take a short quiz on what they have read. Each quiz is written to ensure students have read the entire book.
- Monitoring reading practice – Accelerated Reader’s powerful reports provide quick and efficient insight into each student’s reading and learning progress, allowing teachers to spend more time guiding each student to the success.
- Personalizing lesson plans –It allows teachers to gain instant insight into students’ quiz results, use that data to set goals, monitor their continued progress, and personalize lesson plans.
- Flexibility – It allows students to choose any book from a wide range of recommendations and read them in class, at home, or anywhere, anytime.
- Actionable data at fingertips – Star Assessment transforms assessment data into action steps for educators, giving them helpful insights and recommendations to strengthen classroom instruction.
- Word knowledge and skills – It not only measures students’ knowledge and understanding of vocabulary, but their ability to apply vocabulary strategies too.
- Understanding author’s craft – The tool helps students understand and analyse author’s use of language and literary devices to create certain effects.
- Accuracy – Star Assessment allows teachers to see how their students are progressing toward mastery of state standards.
- Targeted – It allows teachers to view students’ mastery of specific skills, what they are ready to learn, and related instructional resources.
- Trusted – Highly rated by the National Centre on Intensive Intervention (NCII) for academic screening and academic progress monitoring, Star Assessment has high international reputation and usage.
- One comprehensive assessment – With Star Assessment, one does not need different tests for different learning groups. With one comprehensive assessment, it provides all the insights needed to guide literacy growth for all readers. It eradicates over-testing by eliminating separate placement tests for each instructional program.
- College entrance exams – Star Assessment also helps teachers identify students who may need additional support to get on track for ideal performance and improvements needed for college and career readiness.
Thousands of educators and schools across the world use Renaissance’s Accelerated Reader and Star Assessment tools along with myON to help their students develop enthusiasm for reading and engage in high-quality reading practices that have proven to fuel literacy growth – both inside and outside of school.
For more latest updates, You can join us on Twitter, Linkedin