Amazon has launched a brand new and its first-ever e-reader – Kindle Kids Edition – for young Kindle readers.
Designed for children aged up to 12 years, the brand new Kindle Kids Edition comes with a two-year free replacement guarantee and one-year of company’s FreeTime Unlimited which gives children access to thousands of kid-friendly books, movies, TV shows, educational apps, audio books, and games on select Fire TV devices.
The new Kindle Kids Edition comes with a six-inch, 167ppi e-ink display, an adjustable reading light, 4GB storage, Wi-Fi and that standard weeks-long battery life.
Apart from its eye-catching case designs and physical features, Amazon has added a variety of new kid-friendly software features to keep kids reading and help them build their skills and vocabulary. Here’s a quick look at the full feature set, according to Amazon:
- Achievement Badges: Kids can earn badges like Book Worm and Over Achiever when they make progress toward pre-defined goals.
- Easy Discovery: With enhanced browsing and search, kids can locate titles without the exact spelling. And with smart recommendations, kids can find books related to the genres, authors and characters they like.
- Word Wise: Kids are automatically provided short and simple definitions above difficult words, so they can keep reading with fewer interruptions.
- Dictionary: If kids come across a difficult word, they can select the word to look up to the definition via the built-in Kindle dictionary.
- Vocabulary Builder: Words looked up via the dictionary tool are automatically added to Vocabulary Builder and turned into flashcards for future review and learning.
- Kid-friendly Wallpaper: A unique set of lock screen wallpapers designed specifically for kids are included.
Amazon’s new Kindle Kids Edition is available in black color variant with four different case options – Blue, Pink, Rainbow Birds and Space Station – for $109.99. However, the device without the aforementioned extras – two-year warranty for free replacement and one-year FreeTime Unlimited – cost $90. Kindle Kids Edition is currently available for pre-order; the company will start shipping the device starting from October 30.
The subscription for a single kid (after the free one-year offer ends) costs $2.99 a month for Prime members and $4.99 a month for non Prime members. Additionally, there is also a family option for multiple kids – it costs $6.99 for Prime members and $9.99 a month for non Prime members.
Apart from launching a brand new Kindle for Kids, Amazon also launched a $199.99 Fire HD 10 Kids Edition and a $149.99 Fire HD 10 tablet with a faster processor, 12-hour battery life, dual-band Wi-Fi and USB-C charging.