The most prominent challenge a lot of students face when thinking of going abroad for studies or interacting with the students from a foreign county is overcoming the language barrier.
The level of comfort while speaking or communicating in a native language is always higher than in a second language. Though there are tools available for translating the language for non-native English speakers but a better way of doing it now is using Skype Translator. It is a fantastic tool that removes the language barrier in real time. Skype translator is a new tool launched by Skype to make Skype interaction easier. Skype translator kicks off with two spoken languages English and Spanish, with 45 instant messaging languages. You can preview Skype translator here.
Here is a video of Skype Translator demo.
How Does Skype Translator Work?
Skype Translator enables everyone to overcome language barrier and communicate freely, bringing people from across the globe closer.
- Using Skype Translator you can now set up video call with anyone you want to whose native language is other than English on Skype.
- Skype Translator is presently available in four languages English, Mandarin, Spanish, and Italian. More languages options are coming soon on the translator.
What you get with Skype Translator?
- You can call anyone available on Skype.
- The conversation on the Skype can be translated into any language in real-time.
- What someone else says is translated easily in your language.
- On-screen transcript of your call is displayed.
- And you can send instant messages in 45+ languages.
Skype Translator - Uses in Education
On Skype blog, Skype’s Gurdeep Pall states that Skype Translator is also a promising tool which will break down education barriers among students. He further writes in his blog, “We asked two schools to try Skype Translator – Peterson School in Mexico City, and Stafford Elementary School in Tacoma, USA – playing a game of ‘Mystery Skype’ in which the children ask questions to determine the location of the other school,”
The post further reads, “One classroom of children speaking Spanish and the other speaking English, Skype Translator removed this language barrier and enabled them to communicate…”
An educator across the globe is already using Skype to interact with other students and teachers, to facilitate classroom collaboration as well as to exchange resources and lesson ideas. Using Skype Translator educators can communicate in any language and take their classroom on virtual field trip where they can meet and invite students to speak and communicate their ideas and knowledge. Skype Translator provides flexibility and endless opportunities for the classrooms to learn and share the experiences with each other.