Education uptakes new technologies each time as students these days are mainly technology focused.
For over a decade, the landscape of emerging technologies in teaching, learning, and education is seeking transformation on a global scale. However, certain challenges stand in the way of its smooth application. Below are 10 amazing emerging technologies in education and their implementation into mainstream education.
Let us explore their short and long-term trends that will transform learning in coming few years.
1. Cloud Computing
Cloud Computing has become an essential part of integration at both schools and the workplace. The impact of this technology will definitely continue to expand its way in the coming years. Using cloud computing, it is now easier to produce and share digital learning objects, which are created and assembled from a resource repository.
- Cloud-based tools engage students in authentic research experience.
- The Virtual exchange program is a great comeback for the students to explore and interact with students of different countries.
Game play is no more a recreation, it has traversed the realm into a useful and motivation tool. This field of practice has long time started integrating digital and online games into the curriculum. It has started simulating real world experiences on a larger canvas. Digital learning tools are now part of even toddlers. It has made easy:
- Conducting meetings with the clients and proposing a solution.
- Scorecards to evaluate player’s performance.
- Allow students to participate in discussions.
3. Learning Analytics
Learning Analytics is gaining immense attention and support from educational experts and data scientists. In the coming years, learning analytics is estimated to gain massive traction, especially in personalized and online education platforms.
Learning Analytics take advantage of data mining, interpretation, and modeling. Outcomes of learning analytics are going to refine the higher education.
- It analyzes the students work flow and pace of learning, enabling them to concentrate on the lacking areas in order to achieve their goals.
- Performance and Statistic reports of individual student are easy to maintain.
- Monitor progress via analytics dashboard.
- Provide diagnosis with descriptive results.
- Design better learning plans fulfilling student demands.
4. Mobile Learning
Mobile traffic has long ago surpassed Desktop traffic with the invention of smartphones. There is no surprise in stating that ‘Educational apps are the most downloaded apps on iTunes’.
Mobile Learning on the Rise
These applications and e-textbooks are becoming a part of life of many students globally. These apps are building a personalized learning environment for the students, with all the resources and tools on a single device.
5. MOOC (Massive Open Online Courses)
Educators around the world are achieving some amazing things with MOOCs. These pave a medium for personalized and authentic learning processes. This learning model is equipped with some rich features, media, virtual expansion and social networking tools. It incorporates interactive reading and research activities to become more efficient learners.
6. Open Content
Open Content was first coined in 1998. It is a work which anyone can read and edit without any permission. During the recent years, open content has been gaining an immense attention. Anyone has the ability to search, find, read and edit the information. Open repositories with Creative Commons Protocol is making it a fun for educators to explore and learn new. These free digital textbooks come in handy for both teachers as well as students.
When the topics and tutorials are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution, they are now available freely and widely.
7. 3D Technology
3D Technology might take a few years to actually get into practice. Till then, let us have a look at what are all the practical applications it holds.
- Rapid prototyping and production tools of 3D printing let students obtain the 3D models of complex art crafts, biological models, etc.
- Create computer models to replicate the missing structures in archaeology.
- Prototype rapid ideas, explore product design and workflow analysis in business.
- Documentation drawing, assemble modeling are made easy.
8. Virtual and Remote Laboratories
Virtual and Remote Laboratories are the present trend in K-12 Education towards authentic online learning. The benefits of its implementation are already wide-clear.
- Flexible enough to conduct experiments irrespective of time and place.
- Quick repetition of experiments, therefore less pressure of execution.
- Controlled environment.
- Interactive online community to share tips and tricks with each other.
9. Virtual reality
Although Virtual Reality has been in vogue for quite some time now, it is expected to take-off in coming 2-3 years. By now, we are all well-aware with the basic forms of Virtual reality, but now a happening and sophisticated model is expected to charge students with a virtual experience. Students can now visit places virtually which they never imagined would be possible. Virtual experience is about to take science and history lessons to an all-new level.
10. Wearable Technology
Wearable technology is one of the most complex technologies among all. The promising outcome of this technology is productivity. Wearable sensors, wearable headbands, wearable cameras, wearable wristbands are some among its innovations.
- Tools that send information automatically based on voice, gestures and other indicators.
- Easy communication among educators and students.
- Quick access via e-mail and other social media.
Technology literacy is an important skill for future employment. Countless educators are making their move and admiring these emerging technologies. All these changes are essential to make education effective and enactive, unlike traditional classroom teaching. These innovations will definitely see a change in student collaboration with teachers and other peers. These new ways of planning are surely going to implement the best practices in school environments.